The Random – Ghostbusters 3, Daredevil reboot, 24 film, Steven Soderbergh’s Contagion, Terminator rights sold, Hanna, 127 Hours, Jane Eyre, The Fields, Thomas Crown Affair 2
Posted by LiveFor on February 9, 2010
– Bill Murray has sort of confirmed the rumour started by Sigourney Weaver a while back, “I’ll come back in Ghostbusters III only if I get to be a ghost,” said Murray in a new interview “I said to them, ‘I’ll do it if you kill me off in the first reel.’ So now they are going to have me as a ghost in the film.” I just think he is taking the piss.
– Marvel’s Daredevil will get another chance on the big screen as David Scarpa, the man who wrote the recent remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still is writing a new DD script….doesn’t fill me with much hope that the character will get the treatment he deserves. The main reason for the reboot is that Fox’s rights to the character would revert back to Marvel if they didn’t make it.Will Jason Statham be Matt Murdock?
– Jack Bauer may be heading to the big screen for a 24 film. Still early days, but Kiefer Sutherland is up for it and Billy Ray (Shattered Glass, Breach) has pitched the studios about it. Would be set in Europe, but I have to say what’s the point of taking a series that is set over a day and condensing it into a 2 hour action film?
– Steven Soderbergh has another film in the works called Contagion. According to The Playlist, Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Marion Cotillard and Jude Law have all started negotiations to star in the film, which is written by The Informant! screenwriter Scott Z Burns. It’ll follow multiple plotlines across four continents as a virus begins to spread, and terrifying events follow.
– Sony Pictures and Lionsgate bid on the rights for the Terminator franchise. However, according to Deadline, Halcyon Holding Corp accepted the $29.5 million bid from the debtholder which pushed it into bankruptcy, Santa Barbara-based hedge fund Pacificor. (This is the same Pacificor whom Halcyon accused in a lawsuit of extortion, bribery, and fraud and demanded $30M in damages.)
– Cate Blanchett will join Saoirse Ronan and Eric Bana in Hanna. The Joe Wright-directed Focus Features drama that casts Ronan as a 14-year old assassin.
– Amber Tamblyn will play the female lead opposite James Franco in 127 Hours. The Danny Boyle film about Aron Ralston, the mountain climber who cut off his arm with a dull knife to save his life after being unable to free the limb from under a boulder. Tamblyn will play his girlfriend, with their relationship played out in flashbacks that keep him going.
– Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland) has landed the title role of Jane Eyre, the Cary Fukunaga (sin Nombre) directed adaptation of the Charlotte Bronte novel.
– Sam Worthington (Avatar, Clash of the Titans) has signed on to star in Ami Canaan Mann’s very dark thriller The Fields reports Production Weekly. Based on a true story, Worthington would play a homicide detective from Texas investigating a strong of unsolved murders amidst the oil refineries in the state’s south-east with the help of a peer from New York.
– On the progress of the Thomas Crown Affair sequel, actor Pierce Brosnan said this week that “We’ve got the fourth script in and this is the closest we’ve gotten in structure to making sense. It’s very very hard. Now we have the character, it’s not really fleshed out, so we have to work on him, Mr. Crown, and her, Miss Moore, another affair, more art, but it has to be an unexpected surprise”